Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Damn the Variables – Full Speed Ahead!

I've just about got the Zorki 6 sorted out.  I put a plastic washer on top of the film cartridge and the images showed no tilt in the film gate.  I'm not entirely sure that was the right solution, however.  I noticed that I really also needed to push the film leader firmly downward on the take-up spool.  So, I may just try that next time without the washer.


The film for this quick test shoot was some Gekko MW100 from about a dozen rolls that were given to me some time ago.  I was somewhat skeptical about its capabilities given the 2007 expiration date, but it seemed worth a try given the current cost of film.  I shot it at box speed and gave it an extra minute in Ilfotec DD-X on the theory that it is rebadged Efke.  I was pleased with the outcome in terms of grain and tonal qualities, and I'm looking forward now to using the whole batch.

The Ilfotec DD-X was also a gift from a friend from about a year ago.  I finally got around to trying it out because I noticed that it is one of the developers Ilford recommends for Kentmere, one of my favorites.  So that is on the schedule too.

I used my Jupiter 8 lens on the Zorki 6 on this occasion.  It is a Sonnar copy and maybe the best of the bunch of my Soviet lenses.  I wish it had click stops for the aperture like the Industar 61-LD, but I can't complain otherwise.  My plan is to move next to trying the Zorki 6 with the Jupiter 12 and either the collapsable FED 50 or the Industar-21. Those are both Elmar copies and seem just as sharp to my eyes.

I think the Zorki 6 is handsomely designed.  It is probably not functionally superior to a lot a lot of similar rangefinder cameras, but I think that it incorporates a lot of the best features of the long Soviet Barnack line and it was the last model before the slr takeover. And, last but not least, thirty bucks!

2 comments:

JR Smith said...

This has me wanting to try a Zorki 6. And thirty bucks!

Mike said...

Probably a much better choice than the very similar in appearance Zorki 5. Here is an excerpt from Maizenberg's book on repairing Soviet-era cameras:
"ZORKI-5" AND "ZORKI-6" CAMERAS
The main characteristic feature of the "Zorki-5" and "Zorki-6" cameras is a winding lever
(instead of a winding knob) for faster winding of the shutter without the need to move the
camera away from the eyes...
The winding lever brought about changes in the design of the winding device which turned
to be a complex and vulnerable mechanism in the "Zorki-5" camerra. The "Zorki-6" camera is
an improved modification in this group of cameras. The camera's lever mechanism is wound easily and without force unlike winding the "Zorki-5" camera. Its malfunctions are much less common. Another advantage of the "Zorki-6" camera is that it has a selftimer mechanism and hinged back cover for convenient film loading and removing the exposed film. The hinged back cover invoked changes in the design of its body and other mechanisms.
The new body design with a hinged back cover proved to be advantageous in operation,
and later models of reflex cameras such as "Crystal" and "Ze1lit-3M had bodies of the same
design.