Friday, January 03, 2020

Konica C35 Automatic

A friend gave me this nice little Konica C35 rangefinder.  She said she used it for about fifteen years and then put it aside for the next  fifteen or twenty.  The lens is a Hexanon 2.8/38mm.  The camera closely resembles the contemporary Olympus 35RC, but the C35 has total auto-exposure; it picks the aperture and shutter speed and shows you its choice in the viewfinder.  I put a 1.4v battery in the camera and it seemed to be working fine.


I loaded some Fuji 200 color in the camera and took a quick stroll through Old Town Albuquerque to test the idea that the compact and quiet Konica would be a good candidate for doing street photography.  I mostly just set the focus to 3 meters and counted on the depth of focus in good light and the auto-exposure capability to get things right.  That worked pretty well, though a faster film would have been a better choice for making quick hip shots.








The Konica C35 turned in a pretty good performance.  My processing was considerably less satisfying.  This was the thirteenth roll through a batch of Cinestill C-41 and it looks like I should have stopped at the suggested eight roll limit.  The negatives showed a lot of reddish staining between frames which I am guessing was caused by depleted blix.  So, I'm likely to return to using Unicolor C-41 if I can find some.

I'm not sure how much more use I'll get from the Konica.  I like the greater manual control provided by the similar Olympus 35RC.  The Minolta seems like it would be an excellent choice for someone just starting out with film photography.  For a better view of the capabilities of the little C35 Automatic take a look at what Jim Grey did with his.

4 comments:

JR Smith said...

That Coke truck is sure RED! What a fun series!!

Mike said...

Yep. I always feel obligated to take pictures of any fire engines or coke trucks I come across.

Jim Grey said...

These look good, exhausted developer notwithstanding. The C35 is a fun and capable camera but there are many in this class that are equally fun and more capable.

Mike said...

I've got some film in my Olympus 35RC right now to test by comparison. My preliminary conclusion is that it is sometimes useful to have auto-exposure and sometimes not, depending on the task at hand. I think I would have to shoot quite a bit more film in the C35 to give a fair shake to comparing lens qualtiy. The Olympus lenses are always first-rate.