Friday, November 16, 2018

Fingers Crossed

I'm still hoping to hit on a method of keeping my Olympus XA2 in the game.  I have had some inconsistent results from the camera which seem to be attributable to the light meter.  My impression was that the meter was reading too much light in bright conditions, resulting in under exposure.  I decided to test that idea by setting the camera's ASA index to the box speed of the Kodak Gold 200 which I had loaded, and shoot the whole roll that way.  Sure enough, the negatives were all very thin, even those exposed in low light situations.  So, the next roll will be shot at a stop slower.





These shot don't look bad, but they required additional exposure compensation in scanning.  Others on the roll did not have recoverable detail in the shadows.

4 comments:

JR Smith said...

I might have to look for an Olympus XA. Many people online gushing praise on the different variants of this camera.

Mike said...

They are all nice cameras. My XA has a rather dim rangefinder spot, so I mostly just use it in situations where I'm not in a hurry to grab shots. The XA2 has a particularly nice system for zone focusing and the lens is very good. Of course, the compact size is very nice in all of them. Whatever else you are shooting there is always room for an XA.

Jim Grey said...

That's the hassle with the XA series -- because the camera gives you no idea what aperture and shutter speed it's setting, you can't check it against a known-good meter.

It's super frustrating because these cameras are worth repairing.

Mike said...

Yes, the miniaturization and automation comes at a price in regard to the ease of repair. I will probably just try to find a better working example of the XA2. I've got a roll of Fuji 200 36 exp. in mine now, so we'll see what happens. I shot the first 5 frames at ASA 50 and will finish off at ASA 100.