Monday, October 09, 2017

Shooting Balloons

My strategy for making pictures during the Balloon Fiesta is to have a couple cameras loaded and ready to go, and then to wait for a balloon to fly over my house.  That has actually worked out pretty well in the nine years we have lived in Albuquerque.


The strategy is helped out by a neighborhood early warning system consisting of all the local dogs who start a chorus of barking as soon as the balloons come in sight.  If the windows are open, you can also hear overhead what sounds like loud, heavy breathing as the pilots pulse their burners to stay airborne.




Most of my pictures so far during this year's Fiesta have been made with my Yashinon f4.5 zoom lens which has a range of 75-230mm.  It it an old lens, so pretty long and heavy, but it is sharp and handy for lots of public events where you cannot always control your positioning and perspective.


Afternoon entertainment is scheduled daily in Old Town throughout the nine days of the Balloon Fiesta.  Students from the International Institute of Flamenco performed in the gazebo at the Plaza Vieja on Tuesday.  I got there late and found myself about 50 feet from the action, so was glad to have the zoom mounted on my Spotmatic SP.  The light filtering into the gazebo through the trees was impossible to meter, so I just set the lens to f8 and shot until I got to the end of the roll.


5 comments:

Jim Grey said...

I always enjoy your photos from this day.

I clicked through to see other posts where you used this lens, and found your photos of the lens itself. That's quite a beast you have there. Your mastery of it is commendable, as it does not look like it would be easy to learn to use.

Mike said...

I'm repeating myself with these balloon shots, but it is a nice distraction from Albuquerque's crime and politics. If you can believe the weatherman, we may get flyable weather for the whole week.
I've used the zoom enough now to where it deesn't seem too awkward or complicated. It is a nice tool to have available.

JR Smith said...

Your photos were a nice distraction from the horrible fires we're having here in Wine Country. Thank you!

Mike said...

Hard to believe what is going on there. Keep us updated.

astrobeck said...

Wow!
Perfect balloon color combination with that vivid blue New Mexico sky as a backdrop.