Sunday, October 29, 2017

Fall

This is always the best time of the year in the Southwest.  The tourists have gone back to their own reality, allowing the natural rhythms of the days and seasons to reemerge.


The Sandhill Cranes reappear in the open spaces around the city  as the harvest is underway. By the end of November they will congregate in the shorn fields by the hundreds.



Mornings in the city are cool and quiet, welcoming to walkers, cyclists and the small ceremonies and rituals of daily life.


5 comments:

JR Smith said...

Beautiful photos and a wonderful essay! Pleasant Sunday morning reading.

Mike said...

We first visited New Mexico in 1970 on the way back from a trip to Mexico City in our 1948 Studebaker pickup. I was astounded by the blue of the sky and the vast open spaces. We ended that trip in San Francisco and later moved on to Idaho, but that vision of New Mexico remained alive in my mind and we found our way back there ten years later.

Jim Grey said...

My dad's best friend Dean is an artist and was a professor at Notre Dame. His fundraising efforts built the university's art museum. I'm not sure how he came to know Taos and the art scene there but he has made many, many trips there over the decades. Dean has given me several of his paintings over the years, a few of them New Mexico scenes. (One has the humorous title, assigned by Dean's wife, "Another Damned New Mexico Scene.") The blues in his skies seem simply impossible! I figured it was artistic license, but now that I've read your remarks, I think perhaps not.

Mike said...

My last photos don't do justice to the New Mexico sky. Time to mix up a new batch of C-41 chemicals.

JR Smith said...

I'm giving much thought now to where I will finally land. Happy to hear you have found New Mexico.