Thursday, October 12, 2017

Ultrix Progress

My little Ihagee 127 folder is performing pretty well.  The lens and shutter seem to be working as they should.  Greater familiarity in using the camera has increased my confidence in it.  At this point, the main limitation I am facing is with the film.  The expired bulk Portra 160 always provides interesting results, but it would be nice to have a little more predictability in order to further assess the capabilities of the camera.  I had hoped to try out some new film using my diy film spitter, but I have yet to perfect its operation  I considered buying  a slitter that I have seen on line, but then saw a negative review of it.  I'm thinking now that I may just spring for some of the pricey 127 film that is available in order to give myself a better baseline for camera and film performance.





4 comments:

Jim Grey said...

The only 127 I've been able to find online is that Rera Pan and (at B&H) some Ilford HP5. I'd be more inclined to go with the Ilford as a known quantity.

I used to be able to get Portra 160 for my 127 cameras, and it was a wonderful choice. I wish someone were still rerolling it out there.

Mike said...

I used some Efke a few years ago. It was ok in terms of quality, but got very curly when it was processed which made scanning a challenge. I did save the backing paper and have reused it several times. I'll get the film slitting sorted out eventually, but would like to try some good b&w film to cut down some of the variables in using my old 127 cameras.

JR Smith said...

Considering the quality of the images you are coaxing out of this camera here, I agree that trying a roll or two of the higher priced stuff is worth it.

Mike said...

I ordered a couple rolls of rerapan 127 today from B&H. Also ordered a packet of tri-x 120, so got free shipping. Seems a bit extravagant, but I'll reuse the backing paper and I think it will be a useful exercise.