Monday, September 01, 2014

Labor Day Ride

We enjoyed a morning ride on the motorcycle along Albuquerque's west side to the Double Eagle II airfield.  The terminal there has a great little restaurant on the second floor with a view of the field, the nearby volcanoes and, in the distance, the Sandia Mountains.


The Bombing Range Cafe, the airport and several thousand surrounding acres are located on the former site of a practice site for training bombardiers during WWII.  For me, the cafe evoked memories of a similar coffee shop on the lake end of Renton Field south of Seattle where my family often started float plane fishing expeditions in the '50s.


On the way back we stopped briefly to enjoy a flight experience on a smaller scale at the Maloof Air Park.  There were some great flying models on display and we got to watch some expertly flown, including a quiet and fast ducted fan electric model that was really impressive.


The camera of the day was my little Kodak Flash Bantam, loaded with a strip of 35mm Tri-X.

2 comments:

JR Smith said...

I believe I flew my Bonanza into this field many years ago--nice little airport if I recall.

Mike said...

Let me know if you are going to touch down there again and I'll buy you a cup of coffee.