Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Flickr

The Flickr photo sharing service is used in a variety of ways.  I use the site to display what I consider the best of my own work.  I also enjoy the opportunity Flickr provides to curate my own viewing experience in following the work of other photographers.  With just a few exceptions, the 330 or so photographers I follow are shooting film.  That sounds like a lot to keep track of, but not everyone posts pictures every day; on most days I might look at a couple dozen photos.

One of the non-film photography accounts I have added recently to my follow list is that of the Biodiversity Heritage Library which provides several views daily from the collection of illustrations from natural history journals published in the centuries prior to the invention of photography.  The digital copies of the illustrations are presented at a high enough resolution to allow the making of good sized prints if desired.  I do not have a color printer any longer to take advantage of that opportunity, but I do occasionally save a copy to my hard drive to use as a desktop background.  My IMAC desktop is currently home to a wonderful drawing of a carp made in the 18th Century.

No comments: