Monday, March 16, 2020

6x4.5

I have always like the 6x4.5 film format because of the large negatives and the fact that I can get sixteen shots on a roll of 120 film.  The format also inspired camera makers to produce a lot of attractive compact designs.  I have examples from Zeiss Ikon, Welta and Kodak. , including four of the Duo Six-20 model from Kodak's Stuttgart plant with different shutter and lens combinations.

I recently shot a roll of HP5 in my Duo Six-20 that has a Tessar lens and a Compur shutter with a 1/300 top speed.  That 3.5/70mm Tessar is a bit inconsistent in its results, possibly due to the fact that it is uncoated, though I have gotten better and more consistent pictures in regard to sharpness and contrast with the same lens on my older Model I.


My liking for the Duo Six-20 got me started re-rolling 120 rollfilm onto 620 reels.  That turned out to be a lot simpler than I had imagined for a long time, and it only takes me a few minutes now to get ready for an outing with the camera.







It has been a while since I shot any of my fully manual cameras and I'm finding I have gotten a bit careless in making sure I have focus, aperture and shutter all properly set before making an exposure. There is also the issue of getting the frame spacing correct through the ruby windows when most modern paper-backed films have frame numerals that can only be seen dimly in bright ambient light.  However, those are all issues which get resolved with more frequent use.

4 comments:

JR Smith said...

Really nice detail and tonal range on the church door. I wish the message taped to the door wasn't reality, but it is.

Mike said...

All my Tessars seem very capable. For the older ones that are uncoated it is probably a good idea to use a lens hood to cut down on glare.

New Mexico has not had a lot of cases of the virus so far, but a lot of the businesses and public institutions are shut down. Our NM Film Photographers exhibit in a local library is inaccessible until mid-April.

Rdungan1918 said...

I had a Kodak 620 that I enjoyed using. I found it to be a very capable little camera. Unfortunately, a spring broke in the shutter, so, I sold it for parts rather than trying to get it repaired.

Mike said...

I've had pretty good luck with mine, but there have been a few things needing attention. The bellows are good quality, but a few pinholes did need filling in with black fabric paint. I've had the Compur Rapid shutter open a couple times on one camera, but don't yet quite have it working properly. Some of Duo Six-20 cameras have a problem with light leaks around the ruby windows; there is some discussion of that in the Photonet Classic Cameras group.