Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Pinholing Around The House




This roll of film actually started out on a walk through the Botanic Garden.  When I clicked the shutter it fired at about 1/20 rather than the 30 seconds I intended.  I tripped the shutter again with the same result.  So I completed the walk with my Retina II.


Back home, I removed the film from the pinhole camera in my dark bag, and then opened up the Vario shutter to see if I could get it operating properly in Bulb mode. After studying the repair manual I found online and looking at a nice series of images by P F McFarland I disassembled the part of the linkage that seemed to control the bulb setting.  I slightly bent one of the components and reassembled the shutter.  Somewhat to my surprise the shutter seemed to be working fine, so I finished off the roll at home.

6 comments:

kodachromeguy@bellsouth.net said...

I love the forks, which glow in the room light. They have look similar to the work of the ƒ/64 photographers. Nice work! A suggestion: crop off the sloping line at the top.

JR Smith said...

Agree with Kodachromeguy. Love the forks. This has the makings of a photo book.

Mike said...

Thanks to both. I'm having fun getting back to pinhole and I'm pleased the Fomapan is performing well with proper exposure calculation.

Michael said...

I too like the forks. The lighting is real good. In my opinion (and this is worth what you pay for it) I would crop it square. I like the fact that you can make great work without a Carl Zeiss or Nikkor or what ever lens.

Mike said...

Thanks for the thoughts on these pinhole shots. I'm enjoying getting back doing pinhole, but am having to relearn some things about getting what I want from it. I have one more roll of the new Kentmere 100 in 120 and will try to shoot that soon. I was pleased with my experience with it and I see Paul Barden is comparing it to Verichrome, which is an interesting thought.

Michael said...

If it is like like Verichrome Pan and I am assuming that is what he meant (because it was just Verichrome first and later it became Verichrome Pan) I used to use it with Perceptol and D-23 and got very printable negatives. Perceptol and D-23 give development curves that are real close. Perceptol cuts film speed more than D-23, but D-23 has slightly coarser grain but better resolving power. The difference of effects is slight but noticeable if you look. D-23 is easy to mix and cheap to use. I pre bottle mine in real small bottles about 24 bottles or (12 kits) and then it is real fast to mix and use. YMMV :-)