Sunday, December 22, 2019

Film and Developer

I am pleased so far with the results I'm getting from LegacyPro L110 developer from Freestyle.  The components are said to be the same as Kodak HC-110, the price is about half that of the Kodak product, and the LC110 is much easier to mix because of the low viscosity.  I have read reports that Kodak has fixed some problems with HC-110, but I can't see a reason to go back to it at this point.




I always liked HC-110 because it takes full advantage of the fine grain structure of TMAX.  I'm looking forward now to trying LC110 at different dilutions and in stand development.

I shot this roll of TMAX on my Zeiss Ikon Contessa 35.  Like the little Ikonta 35, the Contessa folds up to fit in your pocket, and it adds the functionality of a coupled rangefinder and an onboard meter.  When I developed the roll I could see that there was some uneven frame spacing, so before I use the camera again I'll need to take off the bottom plate and clean up things.

4 comments:

JR Smith said...

What a great range of tones and excellent sharpness on that basketball hoop shot!

Mike said...

Thanks. I seem to be mostly fixated on tonal range these days.

Kodachromeguy said...

Nice work on developing. The picture of the truck in the driveway of an adobe-style modern house shows the range of exposures that this film and development can handle. The panel of the truck was glowing in the sun, but the doorway beyond was dark, maybe 5 or 6 stops darker? The little Contessa certainly holds its own. What an interesting piece of mid-century engineering.

Mike said...

I particularly like the the post-war Zeis Ikon fixed lens 35mm cameras because of their combination of traditional features and design with newer ideas. I believe that the design innovations were actually well underway just before the war. The three I have now include the Ikonta 35, the Contessa 35 and the Contaflex I. All are very compact and have the same Tessar front-focus lens. I had a Contina II, but found the uncoupled rangefinder distracting and I gave it away.