Monday, May 21, 2018

The Car Show

Perfect weather for the annual car show at the Albuquerque Museum; lots of sun, but not too hot.  The sun, of course, does pose some difficulty for photography as the reflections of the sun on the acres of chrome are just about impossible to avoid.  I could actually deal with that with the use of a polarizing filter on an slr, but I always end up choosing to use my older rangefinder and scale-focus cameras for which a polarizer is not very practical.  On this occasion I shot Tri-X in the Benzin Primar plate camera and Fomapan 200 in the Leica.  Here are some from the Bentzin Primar, which always amazes me.






It is not hard to imagine why the plate cameras became so popular for a time in the 1930s.  The 6x9 or 9x12 format behind a 4-element Tessar produces images of extraordinary resolution, and the camera folds flat enough to slip comfortably into a coat pocket.  The Rada rollfilm adapter I use adds a considerable amount of bulk to the outfit, but it is quite a bit more convenient in use than a stack of individual film holders.


4 comments:

JR Smith said...

I would not have imagined that your software here was Tri-X. Very nice!

Also, there is something luminescent about the quality of these images--must be that lens or perhaps the extraordinary photographer behind the camera!

Anonymous said...

Great shots. Do you zone focus with the Bentzin, or is there a ground glass on the back?

Mike said...

A Tessar with a 6x9 image is likely over-kill. Even a simple meniscus does well with that size of an image.

I just estimate the distance with the Bentzin. It helps that the infinity focus is well-calibrated. Also, I usually use a fast film so I can stop down for better dof.

Unknown said...

Hi Mike, im Ruben Alvarez, recently i found a Ricoh 500 rangefinder camera. I notice that when i set the infinity focus it doesnt match (is out of focus). The question is can this be repaired? Im not a rangefinder user, this is my first rangefinder camera. Do i need to take the camera to a repair store or can i do it by myself? Thanks! Also you have a great camera collection.
Blessings.

Ruben Alvarez