Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Fomapan 100

I was reminded by a posting at Filmwasters how much I like my little Voigtlander Brilliant, so I took it along on a walk through the neighborhood loaded with some Fomapan 100.  The writer at Filmwasters categorized his Brilliant as a box camera as his model has a fixed-focus f-11 lens.  Mine doesn't fit in the box category as it is equipped with a focusing 3-element anastigmat Voitar lens.  Otherwise, the cameras appear identical with metal body construction and the superlative viewfinder.  Voigtlander was the pioneer among camera makers in first marketing a 6x6 camera with the brilliant finder in 1932.  Other major camera producers like Kodak and Ansco only got around to offering brilliant finders after WWII.








I processed the 120 Fomapan in Rodinal 1:50 and like the results better than what I have gotten so far from the two rolls of Fomapan 200 that I've shot so far.  However, the grain and tonality were not up to the quality I used to get from Acros in Rodinal.  I may try the film again with stand development in HC-100 or Rodinal to see if that gets me closer to what I am looking for.

4 comments:

JR Smith said...

Greydog Trading is my favorite from this series. Love the way the light and shadows play on that architecture that is so unique to New Mexico.

Mike said...

I've done that scene with several of my old cameras. The shadow patterns are always changing with the seasons and the time of day.

Jim Grey said...

You always manage to get some good tones even out of the most challenging films. Greydog and the steps show it best.

Mike said...

Thanks, Jim. I have to give some credit to Photoshop for allowing me to pull out tones that are in the negative. I've still got a couple of rolls of Fomapan to play with, so will try a few more tricks to see how much I can get from it. I see nice work being done with it in the Flickr groups, so it seems worth spending some time and effort on the project.