Wednesday, September 06, 2023

Getting Closer

 I picked up an accessory close-up lens set for my Yashica-Mat recently.  To my surprise, I managed to misframe all the shots on the first roll of film I put through the camera using the new lenses. 

I had assumed that I would need to aim high to get the image properly centered as I do with my Mamiya C330.  However, it turns out that the Yashica close-up viewing lens is constructed to automatically compensate for parallax error.  So, the Yashica-Mat is actually somewhat easier to use than the C330 which really requires the Paramender on a tripod to properly capture the image on film as it is seen in the viewfinder.  Close-ups with the Yashica-Mat also do not require any exposure compensation as is the case when the C330 bellows is cranked out for close shots.


A tripod is actually a good idea with both cameras as depth of focus at close distances is very narrow.

 




These two shots were made with the normal 80mm lens which provides greater DOF.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The upper lens on your close-up set points down a little bit. So when you frame the taking lens is aiming at the right position. The Rollei Rolleinar functions the same way. Rollei sold 3 powers of their Rolleinars. I'm not sure if Yashica offered other magnifications.

Mike said...

Right. I think I got it right on the next roll. Mine is a No.2.