Thursday, January 30, 2020

Our Lady of Mt. Carmel

I recently found this little chapel on the north side of Albuquerque along with a small cemetery across the street.  It seemed a good subject for my Brownie Hawkeye Flash.






     Muestra de muerte, 
     espíritu de vida,
     aquí cuerpo yace,
     con su alma ida.
         - Nasario García

I see I am a bit out of practice with my box brownie.  You really can't get closer than eight feet with the unmodified camera.  With the No.13 close-up attachment the minimum distance is down to 3.5 feet.  I tried a yellow filter on a couple shots, but that gave me a bit too much contrast for the Acros which I processed in Rodinal 1:50.  Still, the effort seemed a useful exercise.  I think I'll go back with my BHF that has the lens flipped, and maybe try some fp4.

4 comments:

JR Smith said...

You conjured up your inner Ansel Adams with these shots Mike! Very well done!! I especially like the shot of the fence...worthy of printing, properly framing and displaying.

Mike said...

I liked that shot too. The light was changing constantly so I made three shots and that was the last. That kind of grave enclosure is usually manufactured cast iron and I don't recall seeing a wooden one before. The carpentry was expertly crafted, but of course time takes its toll.

Kodachromeguy said...

Nice job indeed with such a simple camera and "primitive" lens. The photograph with the cross draws you in. Very effective!

Mike said...

Kodak did an extraordinary job of crafting their meniscus lenses in all their simple cameras. Unsharp images from the box cameras is much more often due to the challenge of holding the camera steady during a slow 1/30th second exposure than to any fault in the lens.