Saturday, June 24, 2023

ebay delivers

  Ebay, the online auction site comes in for a lot of criticism.  I haven't really found any real reason to complain about the company's operations.  I've mostly bid on low-cost, low risk cameras and I've mostly got what I wanted from the transactions.  Getting to try making pictures with some old camera, even one of modest value, has always been a good source of inspiration for me.

Recently, I took a risk on an old Kodak folder priced at $20 with a $16 mailing charge.  The risk took the form of poor photos of the item and zero prior sales by the seller.  When the shipping date window opened and closed I emailed the seller, only to get a lame excuse.  With no refund in the works, I messaged ebay to claim their 100% guarantee, and was pleased to have a resolution in a few days.

Here is the final ebay email on the transaction:

4 comments:

Jim Grey said...

I've had to request refund on a few similarly low-cost items and my experience has been that eBay refunds promptly.

One unscrupulous buyer requested a refund and never returned the camera I sold him, and in that case eBay wasn't very eager to help. That was disappointing. But that's the only truly bad experience I've had.

Mike said...

Ebay was more fun twenty years ago. Finding something I haven't tried before at a price I'm willing to pay is near impossible now. Still, I spend some time daily trolling through the camera postings.

JR Smith said...

About the only issues I have had with eBay is buyers who bid, win the bid, never pay and refuse to communicate. Not sure why someone would bid on something they have no intention of paying for.

Mike said...

I don't recall selling anything on ebay. Probably explains why I have way too many cameras.