Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Olympus Stylus Epic

 I took my Olympus Stylus Epic on a daytrip to Cerrillos New Mexico recently.  




The film was some old Fuji X-tra 400 which I had found at the bottom of my refrigerator.  I think this is only the third time I have used the camera since I picked it up for three bucks at a local thrift store.  The first roll had shown that the camera was leaking light through the top edge of the back.  I stuffed some black yarn into the back, trying to stop up the leak, but that did not work.  This time, I resorted to a couple strips of black electrician's tape and that got the job done.


In trying to figure out how to best deal with the light leak I googled "mju2 light leaks" and found that the problem was quite a common complaint.  It appears the rubber seals on the back as well as that around the lens become dried out.  I saw some suggestions that a rubber-restoring product available in car parts stores might correct the problem.  I'm happy enough for now with the black tape fix.

If you want to acquire a Stylus Epic and are not lucky as I was to find one in a junk store,  they can typically be had for $300 to $400 on ebay.  I even saw one go for $700.  It is a handy little camera, but paying those prices seems insane.

2 comments:

kodachromeguy@bellsouth.net said...

Electrical tape around the back is an easy and painless temporary repair. I borrowed a ratty Nikkormat for a trip to Costa Rica decades ago. I did not trust the back seal, but electrical tape eliminated any light leaks. In typical Nikkormat form, the exposures and frame spacing were perfect.

$300+ for an electronic plastic camera that will not be repairable???

Mike said...

Black tape may be my most used accessory.

I confess to being mystified by the prices for the Olympus mju cameras. I really have no idea what people are thinking who pay hundreds of dollars for such cameras. They were produced in great numbers, so rarity doesn't seem an explanation.

I thought maybe the fad would subside, but I see lately that the earlier mju and the later zoom models are also bringing big bucks. Olympus put good lenses on all their cameras, but a lot of them don't age well and the slowness of the extending power zoom lenses always seemed something of a joke to me.