Friday, June 10, 2022

A Backup Camera

  I saw a posting on ebay for a Minolta 135mm lens at a good price and the seller was in Albuquerque.  I messaged him that it would be nice to pick it up locally and avoid the shipping cost.  The seller agreed and even offered to bring the lens to my place.  He also brought along a couple Minolta SRT cameras, so I acquired the 201 along with the lens.

My justification for acquiring yet another camera was the fact that I see a small problem with the shutter on my Minolta X-700.  At 1/30 second the shutter stays open for about five seconds.  I haven't seen a problem yet at any other speed, but it seems probable that further malfunction is on the way.  The 201 has a mechanical shutter, along with manual aperture and shutter operation.

The Tele Rokkor 135 had a sticky aperture, but it did not take long to disassemble the lens and get it working properly.  An earlier example of this lens made some very nice images for me, but it has required multiple efforts to keep it going.  This new one has had a lot less use.



The picture of the flamingoes was made with the Tele Rokkor.

I stand developed the Kentmere 400 and was not happy with the results, so will go back to HC110-b or PMK Pyro the next time around with this film.

2 comments:

JR Smith said...

The SRT Minoltas are well built, reliable cameras. And there's a good selection of lenses out there at affordable prices. I don't use my SRT-202 enough.

Mike said...

I've liked all the Minoltas I have owned, but the ones with electronic shutters have all ultimately failed. The sturdy functionality of the SRT seems like good insurance for keeping my collection of Minolta lenses accessible. I may also eventjually talk myself into getting the X-700 repaired.