Monday, May 16, 2022

The Show

 On a Sunday in May the parking lot and the street in front of the Albuquerque Art Museum are populated by the automotive treasures of the area.  There are an equal number of opportunities and challenges for photographers at the event.  The sun is always very bright and it shines on acres of chrome, producing dazzling reflections interspersed with deep shadows.  The cars, probably around a couple hundred, are packed side by side in each parking lane.  The free show draws a big crowd and it is often difficult to get an unobstructed view of the cars.





I think I logged a couple miles up and down the lanes over a couple hours, so I was glad I chose my lightweight Argoflex Forty to make my pictures of the show.  Quite a few people asked me about the camera.  One fellow took a picture of me and the Argoflex.  Most seemed somewhat surprised to find it was still possible to make pictures with such an instrument.

3 comments:

Jim Grey said...

That's some lovely old iron there. You're quite right about the challenges of photographing old cars in full sun.

Mike said...

I'm thinking that next year I'll just go cameraless and enjoy the show. There are plenty of opportunities here to photograph the cars under more manageable conditions.

JR Smith said...

I find when I walk around with one of my old cameras at festivals, flea markets and classic car meets, I get as much attention as some of the cars! I remember walking around downtown Sebastopol, CA with my SX-70 one Sunday and a crowd gathered to watch an instant photo pop out the front! And of course, it's common to hear..."hey is that a FILM camera?" :-)