Monday, August 02, 2021

New from the No.1A Pocket Kodak

 

I thought the camera performed well, though I am clearly out of practice with it.  Film advancing with 120 in this 116 camera has to be estimated.  I gave it 2-and-one-half turns between frames which yielded just five frames from the roll.  I should be able to get 6 frames if I graduate the advance properly.

The combination of expired Tri-X and HC-110b was a little disappointing.  I got better results with the previous roll of Tri-X in Rodinal at 1:50.  


I came across the tourist from Trumpland in downtown Albuquerque on a Sunday Morning, luckily on a short leash.

The ragtop was part of the regular informal Friday morning car show in the Plaza Vieja.


The No.1A Pocket Kodak has been the best performer among my collection of old folders, so I'm going to stick with shooting it for a while and do a little experimenting with different films and developers.

2 comments:

Jim Grey said...

I went back and looked and see that the last time you posted photos from this camera was 2016. Not bad that it works fine after so many years on the shelf. It was nice to be reminded of the good work you've done with this camera over the years.

Mike said...

This camera looks almost new. Kodak made a lot of improvements in the components compared to the previous generation of folders. I'm sure the genuine leather coverings on the older cameras looked very nice at the time, but mine now are dried out and falling apart.
You're right in your observation that I have been looking back at previous work and have a renewed appreciation of what the old folders can produce. The shutters and lenses are relatively simple, but can produce quite extraordinary images, due in large part to the size of the negatives.