Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Moving along with the KW Patent Etui

The one picture I liked from the last roll through my KW Patent Etui was this shot of the UNM Zimmerman Library.

Most of the other frames included a substantial portion of bright overcast sky.  The uncoated lens elements in the Tessar tend to produce a lot of flare in such light which washes out tonal values and destroys detail.  A lens hood may have helped avoid some of the flare I suppose.

I was pleased nevertheless that all the negatives had good overall density thanks to a new bottle of Kodak HC110 developer.  I had been using LegacyPro L110 for some time before with good results, but the last two bottles gave me negatives that looked a couple stops under-exposed.  I have not seen similar complaints from other users of L110, but I was not willing to gamble on another round of poor results.  I decanted the liter bottle of HC110 into four small glass bottles to avoid oxidation, and I'm hopeful that will keep me going for a good while with the Tri-X, Kentmere and Fomapan which I am currently shooting.

2 comments:

JR Smith said...

A very nice range of tones in this shot. Very nice image both technically and artistically.

Mike said...

Thanks. It is an interesting building that was designed by the NM architect, John Gaw Meem, I think about 75 years ago.