Monday, February 17, 2020

Random shots of Old Town

I spent a morning walking around Albuquerque's Old Town with my Nikon F loaded with Ilford HP5+ which I rated at a stop lower than box speed.  I shot both the 50mm and 105mm lenses.






Processing in PMK Pyro showed nicely fine grain as with L110, but I thought the contrast was not as nice.  The action of the F is reassuring.  My only complaint is the shutter release which has a long throw and placement that is a bit far back.  I'm thinking one of those add-on soft releases is probably a good idea.

4 comments:

JR Smith said...

I find that a soft release makes a big difference on my Leicaflex SL2, which I believe compares in size and weight to your F.

Mike said...

The rear placement of the shutter button was a holdover from the design of the Nikon S rangefinder. All the models after the F had a more comfortable placement of the shutter release. Not a big impediment to use, but it seems like most illustrations of the F I see do show the accessory release button.

Kodachromeguy said...

Nice work with shadows and tones. At least on screen, your film/developer combination looks great.

The Nikon F is indeed a mechanical wonder. I used one for years, and it now lives with a friend in Michigan (but sadly, I think it seldom goes out with film). My F was a late model with some controls resembling the ones on the F2. Mike, if you are energetic, look for the various focus screens, especially the ones with total microprism (very bright) and the "E", with the grid for architecture.

Mike said...

Those screens sound like a good idea. My old eyes can use any help they can get, and a grid seems like it would be a big help in keeping pictures level which I find almost impossible.