Monday, February 10, 2020

HP5 Seasoning

I bought a few rolls of Ilford's HP5 to shoot in my Nikon F and processed the first in L110 at 1:31 dilution. I'm impressed with the fine grain, but found adjusting the tonal range to be a little challenging. I'll try some different L110 dilutions, and maybe also some PMK Pyro as that gave me a good result before in my Kodak Monitor.

Nikkor-S-C Auto 1.4/50mm and +4 close-up

I picked up the HP5 partly out of irritation with Kodak and Fuji for their decision to jack up prices on their popular films.  The main result I can see is that the less expensive brands like Kentmere are suddenly hard to find.  It makes me wonder if Kodak and Fuji have misread the market, or if they are pursuing an effort to manipulate it.

Nikkor-P Auto 2.5/105mm

The Nikon F shutter seems to be working fine at all speeds.  I recently saw a complaint about Nikon F shutter/mirror noise, but mine is as quiet as any I have.  That makes me think the camera may have had a tune-up sometime in its sixty year career.  The good performance of this first of the line inspires me to spend some more time with the other three I have as well since the lenses work well on all of them.



F-F2
FE-EM

2 comments:

JR Smith said...

Nikon fun!

Mike said...

I never gave any serious thought to finding and using a Nikon slr for about ten years after getting back to film photography. I think that was due in part to a lingering memory of the Nikons of the 1960s being beyond my financial reach. Then, a few years ago I picked up the Nikon EM at a neighbor's yard sale for ten bucks. They are all marvelous cameras, right up there with Leica in terms of build quality.