Saturday, March 23, 2013

Kodak Flash Bantam

I have added a page to my vintage cameras web site on what I've learned about shooting the Flash Bantam.


Here are three more Flash Bantam shots from my recent visit to the Botanical Garden.




I was going to include a link to the Wikipedia page about 828 film in my vintage cameras page about the Flash Bantam, but the information there really seems to miss the mark in my opinion.  For instance:

"828 cameras never achieved widespread popularity and the format had a rather limited run."

In fact, Kodak produced 828 film for 50 years, as well as half a dozen camera models in the Bantam line between 1935 and 1947.  The 828 format certainly did not enjoy the popularity and longevity of the 35mm cassette, but it did have a very respectable run, and it inspired some excellent compact camera designs including the Bantam Special which many consider the most beautiful small film camera of all time.

PS: I was looking for some film to shoot in the Flash Bantam today and came across some TMAX 100 for $2.99 for a 36-exposure roll at Adorama.  Ordered ten rolls, so I should be good for quite a while. 

3 comments:

jon campo said...

Hello Mike,
I was very happy to see this post. This is one of my favorite cameras, but I am too cheap to shell out for the 928 film. I am looking forward to trying your hacks to use 135 film. You are so right about the lens, they are very capable cameras.
Thanks for the good information.
Regards, Jon

Mike said...

I hope you will give it a try. It takes a little bit of practice as the fit of the film reels in the camera is a little tight. Well worth the effort, though, as it is such a unique little camera.

Julio F said...

I am nonplussed by the Bantams. How could Kodak make these cameras for a stillborn film format?