Sunday, November 25, 2012

Ricoh 500

The Ricoh 500 is a Japanese rangefinder camera from the late 1950's that has been greatly under-rated.  I wrote about that and posted some pictures about a year-and-a-half ago.  I just got around to adding a page about the Ricoh 500 to my vintage cameras web site about the camera -- can't believe it has taken me so long.


I originally bought into the idea that the Riken Ricomat lens was of poor quality and I neglected the camera for a long time.  Finally, I got around to properly adjusting the infinity focus and found that the lens is really a very fine performer.  There are a couple more pictures from it on the web site, and there is also a slide show of shots from the camera which I recently moved to my Picassa web albums.


The Camerapedia page on the Ricoh 500 has some good information about the model variations.

The Ricoh Five One Nine model was introduced a year after the 500.  The f1.9 lens is reputed to be superior to the f2.8, though I'm not convinced there is such a great difference as has been alleged.

Ricoh is one of the oldest camera manufacturers in Japan; it was originally known as the Riken research institute.

2 comments:

jon campo said...

Holy cow! Really nice photographs Mike. I've passed up quite a few of these at flea markets over the years. Good to know they have potential, but most I've seen look pretty rough. What a lens! Nice work.
Best regards, Jon

Mike said...

Thanks for the encouraging words. I guess I need to put another roll through the camera.