Tuesday, November 14, 2023

My New Bike

 Mobility has always been a key element in my photographic endeavors.  My main strategy has been to cover a lot of ground and make pictures of whatever I come across of interest.  Lately, my walking has suffered some injury-related setbacks and getting a leg over the seat of my sturdy old bike is a challenge. 

So, when we stopped in at my favorite thrift store on the east side of the Sandias recently I was pleased to find a bike that looked a good match for my current capabilities.  It is a new looking, light-weight Schwinn ten-speed with a step-through frame, handbrakes and skinny tires.  I peeled the $20 price sticker off the fender and took it into the cashier who informed me that everything that day was half-price and I had to part with just ten bucks to load the bike into my truck!

My compact Olympus Pen-FT will be a good match with the bike as it slips pretty easily into a jacket pocket.

I've come back unscathed from a couple trial runs with the bike, so I'll get out with bike and camera for a real photo shoot this week.

4 comments:

Jim Grey said...

What an awesome bargain! When I went bike shopping this summer I was surprised by the number of step-through frames available. The salesman at the shop where I bought my bike said that they are increasingly considered to be unisex. People like the ease of not having to swing a leg so high.

Mike said...

That thrift store in Cedar Crest has been a source of good deals for me. I found a Nikon F2 there some time ago along with a couple fine Nikkor lenses. I passed on the F2 at a bargain price to a friend and kept the lenses.
I'm going to feel a little bad at abandoning my old reliable bike which has served me well for over fifteen years, but the time has come.

Kodachromeguy said...

A 10-speed for $10? Great find. I recall that much of old town Albuquerque is flat, so you'll have a good time peddling around. But be careful with traffic.

JR Smith said...

I see some great photo essays in your future, bike under you and Pen at the ready.