Sunday, November 19, 2023

Full-Frame

 I shot some Arista 200 in the Leica IIIa with the Elmar 3.5/50mm for the purpose of comparison with the images I have been getting from my half-frame Olympus Pen-FT.  At the size I normally show on-screen I think there is little difference, but at larger sizes the full-frame images from the Leica do show some better sharpness and finer grain which allow considerably more enlargement.



On a bike ride along the Bosque trail north of Central Ave. I came across the firetruck and a group of firefighter recruits being trained in the use of portable pumps for fighting fires in the riverside forest.

Some cloudy days are bringing nice light to both Old Town and the Bosque.


 
(The chromework on the Harley suggests that some care should be exercised in getting on and off the bike.)


4 comments:

JR Smith said...

Those Elmars are such amazing lenses. Nice stuff here Mike.

Mike said...

Yes, the Elmar never disappoints. The fact that it is collapsible also encourages me to stuff the IIIa in a jacket pocket any time I leave the house.

kodachromeguy@bellsouth.net said...

The Elmar was an amazing little lens. But your Pen lens is a much newer design (5 or 6 elements?) with newer coating. But the half frame means less photon surface area. Regardless, on internet presentation, your results from both cameras look great. Nice work.

Mike said...

There are adapters which allow the use of Leica lenses on the Olympus Pen. It would be interesting to see what that produces. I doubt I'll have a chance to try it as the adapters can be very pricey. Also, you lose the auto stop-down feature with the adapters.