Wednesday, July 05, 2023

Theory vs Practice

I had a fresh roll of Arista Edu 100, so I decided to shoot it in my Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim and process it semi-stand in RO9 (Rodinal) at 1:100 for an hour.  I thought that should give me good control of contrast and tonality.  Wrong.  The pictures were excessively contrasty and the tendency of the vuws to vignette was emphasized.  Here are the best ones from the roll.




The rest had mostly blown out highlights.  I may have not gotten a fair test for my idea behind semi-stand processing.  I'm down to the dregs on my old bottle of RO9 (Rodinal), so there's no telling if the results would have been better with fresh developer.  

2 comments:

JR Smith said...

I like the shot of the old convertible. Did you need to do much post-processing?

Mike said...

I always do some adjustment of highlights and shadows, but in this case most of the highlights were beyond saving. Daytime temps here are predicted to be 100+ for as far as the weatherman can see, so it will be some time before I can hit the streets again.