Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Reassembly

 I have over a period of years deposited my thoughts and some images in two blogs.  One is this, about film photography.  The other is explained by the title, Everything Else. My motivation for adding the second blog was in part to have a place to put digital photographs.  While that division has some logic to it, such an approach can lead to a fragmentation of self-presentation that can be somewhat destructive.  My non-photographic blog posts wander through politics, religion, literature, and current events in no particular order, but there are common threads running through it all, and some connect to my film photography.

One such connection I came across recently was an Everything Else blog post, Haiku and Photography, that really seems now like it should be in my film photography blog. That post also seemed a good companion to one about Chaco which is in the photography blog, and which contains some of my own haiku. I suppose one reason the haiku and photography piece ended up where it did was that there are no images to accompany the text.

So, there, I have reconnected some threads with hypertext links. The effort has also got me thinking about how I might blend in some references to the only other form of poetry I have patience for, the Spanish ballads of the 15th and 16th Centuries known as the Romances (and their 20th Century resurrection by García Lorca). Of course, illustrating those is going to be something of a challenge for me, and certainly for readers of my blogs. Maybe some of my flamenco dance shots would work?

So as not to perpetuate a trend toward imageless posts, here is a bit of whimsy from Everything Else:

A fearless bunny

In the Japanese Garden

posed for my cell phone.

digital

5 comments:

Jim Grey said...

I experience it as well, that having two blogs fragments me. I write a separate blog about software development at dev.jimgrey.net. I used to write about software development as one of my many subjects at blog.jimgrey.net, but that was a bridge too far for the audience there. My main blog is eclectic, but the subjects overlap just enough that the audience stays. My software blog has found its own (much smaller) audience.

Mike said...

Most of the blogs I have followed over the years have faded away. It just occurred to me today that one reason for that is that younger photographers are more comfortable working with the youtube video format. I'm not in that group by a few decades and I find I don't have the patience to stay with videos that are over about five minutes in length. I suppose people will get that figured out, but I'm still likely to stick with written and still photo illustrations.

Anonymous said...

The video presentation of photo information/data is terribly inefficient. You can read a succinct text much faster. There are some video dweebs who spend over a half hour talking about their camera bag.

Mike said...

Joe Van Cleave makes some good videos about photography and other topics. He puts a lot of thought into scripts and camera work. Video presentations on camera repair can be very helpful; I particularly like those made by Retina expert, Chris Sherlock.

kodachromeguy@bellsouth.net said...

I agree, the Retina repair videos are excellent. These required dedication and effort.