Saturday, July 02, 2022

Kentmere 400

 I have had nice results in the past shooting Kentmere film and processing in both HC-110 and PMK Pyro.   Recently, though, my negatives end up looking a stop or two underexposed.  I bought a new beaker and a syringe for measuring and mixing the developer, thinking that the problem could be contamination of the processing equipment.  That made no difference in the outcome, however.  I still had to compensate for the thin negatives with Photoshop adjustments.  So, my plan now is to shoot the film at a stop slower and accept that it is not going to produce what I want at the rated box speed.





It is tempting to theorize some manufacturing fault, but I haven't seen any reports on the issue elsewhere , including from the people who have inspired me to use the film at Photonet and Rangefinder Forum.  On the up side, the fact that I can get a reasonable outcome from the weak negatives speaks to the fundamental excellence of the film in regard to exposure latitude and fine grain.

5 comments:

kodachromeguy@bellsouth.net said...

These frames look pretty good, at least for web display. Nice tonality.

JR Smith said...

You always get such good results from this film. I need to try it.

Mike said...

I generally have gotten better results shooting Kentmere at a stop slower than the box speed. That is partially dependent on processing, so a bit of experimentation with different combinations of speed and processing is worthwhile. In terms of tonal values I think the Madonna shot is as good as anything I have ever done. And, Kentmere is half the price of anything else on the market these days.

Rick said...

I would say you're really showing off the value of K400, in terms of latitude and suitability for a subject. You're probably way ahead of me on this, but I assume you've eliminated camera malfunction or metering errors in the process? So many things that can go awry! But that's the challenge (and beauty) of film, I think.

Mike said...

The meter in the X-700 seems pretty reliable to me and generally seems to get what I'm after. I did retest my digital thermometer recently and it gives me readings close to my mercury one. You're certainly right about the complexity of variables being both vexatious and a source of value.