Saturday, April 24, 2021

Small Camera, Big Subject

 My featherweight Vivitar Ultra Wide and Slim has made a lot of pictures for me over the last fifteen years.  The camera is nearly always with me, so I don't have to miss many photo opportunities even when that is not my main purpose at the time.  This shot was made when I accompanied Margaret for a routine test at the Rust Medical Center.

Even though the little point-and-shoot has no capacity for adjusting focus, speed or aperture, the exposure latitude of modern color films make it possible to get the picture under a wide variety of lighting conditions.  In this case I was shooting some well-expired Kodak Gold 200.  The initial scans of the images from the roll showed a slight green color shift, but that was easily corrected in Photoshop.

A desaturated view of the image shows the persistence of the excellent tonal qualities and fine grain of medium-speed C-41 films.

No comments: