Thursday, July 02, 2020

Field Trip

It has been months since I last took a walk around the UNM campus.  I went there yesterday morning with my Pentax H3v loaded with HP5+ which I shot at box speed and developed in L110b.  The lens on the H3v was a 35mm/3.5 Super Takumar that I've had for a long time but not used before.

Not unexpectedly, the campus was deserted except for some maintenance workers and a few people lounging around the duck pond.





There used to be a totem pole  from the Northwest in this courtyard behind the anthropology museum.  The pickup carcass seems a much more appropriate totem for the Southwest.





Near the main library I ran into a fellow carrying a digital camera with a long telephoto.  He was Mike Sandoval, a student in the UNM photography program and a photographer for the student newspaper, the Daily Lobo.  He said the Lobo is being published only on line at present.  We talked a bit about what re-opening the University might look like.  He said classes were scheduled to start up in August, but that the details were still very sketchy.

I gave some more thought to school re-openings as I continued my walk.  I think it likely that an effort will be made to get back to what existed before the pandemic.  It seems to me a better option might be to take advantage of the current situation to re-think the whole educational process (along with issues of over-population, public health, equitable resource allocation and environmental degradation!).  Suggestions are welcome.

2 comments:

Jim Grey said...

The truck body in the courtyard is an especially nice composition, well exposed.

Mike said...

There is an horno, a clay outdoor oven, facing the truck. A Pueblo couple used to come to the courtyard once a month to bake bread there and make tacos. It was fun to go there for lunch. The museum was an important point of contact between the university and the larger community, but it always struggled for funding. The prospects for survival of that tradition seem very slim now.