Tuesday, June 30, 2020

mellow yellow

I took my Nikon F for a stroll in the Sandia foothills.  Mounted on the Nikkor 50mm f1.8 was a yellow filter.  That is something I haven't done more than a couple times.  The results were somewhat underwhelming as the effect is rather subtle.  I left the filter in place for most of the roll of Kentmere 400 which I shot at a stop slow for processing in PMK Pyro.







San Felipe de Neri has reopened for Sunday services.  The shops and restaurants around the plaza are seeing a little business, but many of the smaller ones on the side streets have closed for good.



That was the last of Kentmere I had on hand, but I've ordered ten more from B&H.  I have a roll of HP5+ in the Pentax H3v now and I'll try a few shots with that combination with a red filter.

8 comments:

JR Smith said...

The red filter should really kick things up! All in all though, these are some nice images with pleasing tones.

Mike said...

We are heading into what New Mexicans optimistically call their Monsoon Season. I'll point the red filter skyward and see what transpires.

Jim Grey said...

You sure did catch some lovely shadows.

Mike said...

I'm pretty pleased with the results from Kentmere in PMK. I'm going to process the next roll at box speed in L110 to see how that compares.

Kodachromeguy said...

Mike, these are superb. The first photograph, of the rocks on a hillside, immediately caught my attention. I think the yellow filter did help. Subtle is fine, just enough to add a bit of extra contrast. Where I live, I often use a yellow-green to lighten the foliage (in reality, the jungle) just a bit. Otherwise, the trees and bushes are just a dark blob.

Mike said...

Thanks. I was pleased with the outcome, though I didn't see better skies than I would get with unfiltered TMAX. It does seem to me that the grain in the Kentmere 400 is very good.

astrobeck said...

these are great, but I have never thought the yellow was that good and I have used a dark yellow or light orange filter for more punch. These are nice. Have you tried a red filter? It might be too much though, but then maybe not in this sunny 22 type sky we have in the southwest.

Mike said...

I spent some time today rummaging through my drawers for filters. Turns out I have red filters that only fit a couple cameras I seldom use. So, I'm going to look for some new ones to fit my Pentax and Minoltas (49mm), and my Nikons (52mm).