Friday, April 03, 2020

Shut Down

The Minolta X-700 given to me by a friend recently came mounted with a Vivitar 2.8/35-70 zoom.  It doesn't seem a very versatile range for a zoom, but I thought I at least ought to give it a try.  The pictures from it look ok, so maybe I'll find a use for it.


The dog and I took a walk into Old Town last Saturday.  At 3:00 in the afternoon, the stores were closed and the streets empty.  Normally, the area under the covered walk would be full of jewelry vendors and their tourist clients.  I've shot the red chairs empty of diners before early in the morning before the restaurant was open.


Though there was no one around to appreciate it other than me, a fine old Oldsmobile was parked at the curb in front of the church.  I didn't see the owner.


We try to get out to the river with the dog a couple times a week.  This is one of the locations where there is a big sandbar where the dog can get in a run.


We have mostly stayed close to home this week.  That doesn't suit the dog, but the cat is fine with the current arrangement.

6 comments:

Jim Grey said...

Nice Olds. You never see cars that old parked curbside here in Rustopia. I have a 35-70 for my Nikon bodies. While it isn't a very long zoom it is a compact lens and easy to carry when Margaret and I go on a weekend trip. It adds a little extra versatility to my walking-around photography.

Mike said...

That's true. I have made little use of zoom lenses in the past, but it is convenient not to have to cram prime lenses in my pockets. Of course, a lot of my old cameras were pre-zoom.

JR Smith said...

I'd love to take a walk downtown with my camera right now. It's too far to walk from my home to downtown and, here in California, they are discouraging anyone from driving anywhere to walk. Thanks for sharing yours.

Mike said...

It is pretty easy to get around Albuquerque - very light traffic. We have enjoyed some bike excursions and are pleased to be not far from a good bike trail along the river. Parking near the river is a bit congested. I haven't gotten out lately due to other issues, but it looks like I can be mobile again in about a week. I have some tri-X in my X-700 now so I can take advantage of the early morning light opportunities in the house.

Kodachromeguy said...

I love the red chairs - well done. But Danger, Danger: I see the obligatory cat picture. However, that is a handsome cat.

Mike said...

It's true, my oeuvre does have a large portion devoted to cats. One of my past posts on the subject is an essay in defense of stray cats. I think there has been a slight decline lately due to the fact that we are now down from three cats to one. Also, a neighbor cat who used to claim our house and yard as its territory now lives in another part of town. So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.