Thursday, November 14, 2019

More from the Patent Etui

I walked around downtown Wednesday morning and visited the Roadrunner station on 1st St.  I was carrying the KW Patent Etui plate camera with the Tessar lens and loaded with Arista Edu Ultra 400. I was pleased to see in the pictures that I had gotten a bit better in framing my shots with the camera's wire frame viewfinder.  I processed the film with semi-stand development in Rodinal for one hour at 1:100 dilution.



The Rodinal processing gave me tonalities and grain that were not a bad fit with the subject, but I liked my results with this film better with the PMK Pyro developer that I used in my last outing with my other Patent Etui.  I have one more roll of the Arista film and I think I'll try it with HC-110 to see how that compares with the Rodinal and PMK processing.


2 comments:

JR Smith said...

I don't know how you frame shots so nicely just looking through a wire frame. Bravo!

Mike said...

I actually give myself a bit of a cushion by standing back a bit further to frame the shot. That means I end up cropping most shots a little, but there is little penalty for that given the 6.5x9 negatives. Once you get used to the wire frame finder I think there is little difference between it and any other without parallax correction. The advantage of the plate cameras over the more conventional folding cameras of the same era is that you have the option when needed of using the ground glass back for precise through-the-lens framing.