Sunday, July 21, 2019

Albuquerque Annotated

I picked up some 1.4 volt batteries on eBay recently to see if that would give a bit of a boost to my exposures from the Minolta Hi-Matic 7s.  The slight decrease in voltage did not seem to have any noticeable effect on the camera's performance.  Still, the full-auto exposure works pretty consistently, and setting the ASA to a lower value seems like it will improve results.  I shot a roll of Kodak ColorPlus 200 in the camera over period of a couple weeks.



This customized Honda at the back entrance to Old Town had an appealing rough-and-ready look.  Such sightings start me thinking about getting another bike.  My vision may be up to the challenge since I had the cataracts excised, but my reflexes probably don't support the idea.


I understand the appeal of the electric scooters which are all over Albuquerque, but I'm even less likely to get on one of these than I am on a motorcycle.  The city's transportation infrastructure is already in desperate shape, and the town clearly is not ready for an army of scooter riders.  An illustration of that was provided for me at the risky intersection near our house early yesterday.
    I heard a loud bang signaling a crash and looked out the window to see an SUV stopped in the middle of the street.  There was a scooter on its side about 30 feet north of the impact point. The rider was crumpled against the curb and moaning.  No helmet.  No regard for road rules.  Predictable.


I have an odd connection to a photographer who shows his work on Flickr, Jorge Guadalupe Lizárraga.   He and I often post pictures taken at the same places in Old Town at the same time of day, but I've never seen him.  He has a good eye for architectural subjects, rather better than mine.


I often pick up a copy of the city's alternative newspaper, The Alibi, during my walks through Old Town.  The quality of writing in the free publication varies widely, but the staff gets to stories which you won't see in the lumbering Albuquerque Journal.  These two boxes look to me like cartoon characters that might scamper around the plaza in the early morning when no one is looking.


The Rio Grande has retreated to its bed after a season of heavy flooding.  There is quite a bit of debris left on the trails through the bosque, but the summer heat is rapidly drying the ground.


Albuquerque has a vast flood control system which includes this strange dam face on the city's east side, a favorite subject of 'burque photographers.  Between the flash flooding from the Sandias and the river's high waters, there would not be a city here without these kinds of structures.

4 comments:

JR Smith said...

Thanks for taking us along on your extended photo walk with the Minolta. Enjoyable series of photos and text!

Mike said...

I am not usually a fan of large and heavy 35mm cameras, but the Hi-Matic and the Lynx-14 have redeeming features. Both have auto-parallax correction and the Hi-Matic is one of the earlier full-auto exposure cameras.

Jim Grey said...

Nice work with the Hi-Matic. Scooters have invaded Indianapolis. I've ridden them a time or two and they're fun -- as long as you stay on the Cultural Trail or in the bike lanes. There have been several accidents where scooter riders were injured, as they were riding in the street and not paying attention.

Mike said...

Part of the problem with the scooters is that users haven't had time to develop traditions of sane use. Most bicyclists have figured out that they need to wear helmets, and at least slow down for stop signs.