Sunday, July 07, 2019

Taos in Color

Loading color film in one of my cameras flips a switch in my brain which produces compositions that are quite different from what I see when I am using black and white film.  The process gets me looking at blocks of color and their interrelationships, and expectations come into play about how the colors will be rendered in the final image.






Ansel Adams did a Kodachrome of the San Francisco de Asis church in 1948.  He did quite a lot of color, but mostly under duress which was likely associated with commercial work.  Ansel said that the picture was only half done when the image was consigned to film; the other half came in the processing and printing.  The complexity of Kodachrome development simply was not amenable to someone with Adams' need to oversee the entire picture making process.

8 comments:

JR Smith said...

While it was pretty obvious from what I have read that Ansel's color work did not satisfy him, I have found many of his color images enjoyable.

Mike said...

If Ansel were still around I'm guessing he would be pleased to see that color developing is now just as easy as b&w. Wet color printing at home still seems like quite a stretch however.

Jim Grey said...

These are some lovely, moody colors. I've never seen Taos photographed in color before, always b/w.

Mike said...

The town is a bit too contrived for the benefit of the tourists. However, the light is still very nice thanks to the nearby mountains and the cloudscapes they create.

astrobeck said...

YOu get along quite well with that 200 color. We have some of the best blue sky I think I've ever seen and you have made the most of it!

Mike said...

I've shot quite a bit of Kodak ColorPlus 200 and I have liked the results. That last roll from Taos got processed in some C-41 developer that was somewhat exhausted, but I was able to get ok images with a little help from photoshop.
I recently found that B&H is currently selling Fuji 200 for even less than the low price I was paying for ColorPlus, so I'm going to shoot Fuji again for a while. Also have a new box of Unicolor C-41.
In any case, those great skies in northern NM are a great resource regardless of film type.

Kodachromeguy said...

Mike, I have only used Fuji 200 once. I bought a roll in Kathmandu when I ran out of other C41 color film. It was a bit grainy but I really liked the color tonality. It is hard to tell if this is intended as a budget film for Asian markets and am not sure if it was previously available in USA. Regardless, it's pretty good. The rocket factory photos are from Fuji 200:

https://worldofdecay.blogspot.com/2017/12/abandoned-rocket-fuel-plant-redlands.html

Mike said...

K'guy:
The cheap Fuji 200 was my go-to color choice for a long time, mostly because I could get it for under three bucks a roll at the local Walmart. When Walmart stopped selling the stuff I switched to Kodak ColorPlus 200, again for economy. I think it is pretty easy now to find both films on line for about $3.30.
Yesterday, I was at a Walgreen's Drugs and noticed that they had three-packs of 200-speed Fuji and Kodak Gold. The price tag said $18 !!!
Your blog article on the rocket fuel site is terrific. What a place!