Saturday, June 22, 2019

Nine O'Clock

I took a morning walk on the grounds of the Rio Grande Nature Center.  The sun was already high in the sky by nine, so I was glad I had loaded some TMAX 400 film which copes well with contrasty lighting.  The big Mamiya C330 would have performed better for me if I had brought along a tripod, but the Porroflex finder let me make some shots that that would have required some athletic contortions with the waist-level finder.





The C330 is unique in its capacity to focus and frame the image as close as 7 inches due to the bellows focusing and a moving bar in the viewfinder which shows the user how to vertically adjust the camera to compensate for the difference in views between the viewing and taking lenses.  At the same time, it is also necessary to pay attention to a scale in the viewfinder which indicates exposure compensation associated with the extension of the bellows.  For instance, with the bellows extended to focus on a subject about a foot from the camera, it is necessary to increase the aperture two stops to get proper exposure.


People in the Southwest have been keeping track of the sun's movements for a long time.  See teofilo's annual solstice blog post today about The Mesoamerican Context for Chaco Astronomy.

4 comments:

JR Smith said...

I played with one in the local camera shop a year or so ago. A beast of a camera! I applaud you carrying it out into the field! And some great shots!

Mike said...

Shooting handheld is a bit hit or miss with the C330, but it always produces some nice images on every roll. I have the 180mm lens for it; one of these days I'll get around to trying it.

Kodachromeguy said...

You are carrying and hand-using a C330? Wow, Mr. Muscles. Nice negatives! Despite the joke about the weight, I have hand-held the slightly lighter C220, and it worked quite well. But if you like the morphology of a twin-lens camera, get a Rolleiflex - you will be hooked forever.

Mike said...

One of my inspirations to keep going with the C330 is the fact that it was the weapon of choice of Diane Arbus. She did quite a bit of street work with the camera.
I've had a couple Yashica-Mat and liked them, but both ended up having film advance problems that I didn't feel like dealing with. Also spent some time with the Kodak Reflex II which I also liked because of its fine lens and relatively bright view.
I keep thinking that one day I'll get around to getting a medium format sir, but haven't come across one that fits my budget.