Monday, October 08, 2018

Retina Redux

A brief shutter cleaning for my Retina Reflex got the aperture stop-down mechanism operating properly and allowed the nice qualities  the Xenon lens to come through in the camera's images.  I still have a bit of work to do on the film advance, and it would be really nice to find a replacement for the clouded prism.  That is not a difficult repair, but I keep getting outbid on ebay for junker donor cameras because I'm not willing to spend much on spare parts.









The last shot is Joe Van Cleave showing his marvelously crafted handmade cameras to the New Mexico Film Photographers Group.  He has posted an excellent series of videos about film photography on YouTube.

2 comments:

JR Smith said...

Once you get clouded prism replaced, I imagine that this will be a fun, reliable performer.

Mike said...

I go back and forth with myself about putting time and money into this camera. It is interesting to me historically, and it does have some nice qualities. On the other hand, I have several other Retina models with the same Xenon lens and they perform marvelously.