Monday, August 28, 2017
My efforts at film splitting to produce 127 from 120 roll film have been complicated by poor results from the film I have been using in the project, Arista Edu Ultra 400. While it seemed a good idea to use cheap film while sorting out my DIY film splitter, the results only made life more difficult.
In the past, I've gotten perfectly fine images from Arista films, usually combined with my favorite all-purpose developer, HC-110, both with dilution "B" and as a stand developer. This time, though, the first roll resulted in images with extreme grain. The next roll had images that were barely discernible.
An on line search turned up quite a few experiences similar to mine with Arista 400. A lot of people showed perfectly fine images made with the film, while others like me reported a mixed bag with inconsistent, sometimes disastrous results. So, when I put in an order this morning for some film, it won't be Arista.