When I got home I checked the battery voltage, but it was still at 3 volts even after about a year of use. Leaving the battery out, I dribbled a little Radio Shack electrical cleaner around the edges of the shutter button. I let the camera dry out for a couple hours and then replaced the battery. The action of the shutter release was much improved, though still not perfect. I may try another round of the electrical cleaner. I'll also not pass up the next five-dollar mju I come across at a thrift store.