Sunday, August 09, 2026

Genealogy

 Both of these cameras have a common ancestor, the German Zeiss Ikon Contax.  That fact turned out to be useful when the film advance on my recently acquired Nikon S locked up.

 
Since the Nikon S and the Kiev IIa both have Contax lens mounts, I was able switch lenses, putting the Nikkor-S 1.4/50mm on the Soviet-era Kiev IIa. As a test of the compatibility I loaded the Kiev with some expired Plus-X and took it to Old Town.
 


The Plus-X was from 2011 and had been in my refrigerator for about five years.  I thought at first that I would give it an extra stop of exposure to compensate for the film's age.  However, Bob Eggers told me he had better luck just shooting old Plus-X at box speed and developing longer than fresh film would require.  So I took his advice and processed in HC-110b for seven minutes at 20 °C.

3 comments:

JR Smith said...

Great Plus-X shots. I have some rolls from 2015 I need to take for a spin.

Mike said...

Plus-X was really great stuff. I did not shoot much back in the day when it was readily available, thinking the contrast was hard to deal with. Fortunately, all these years later I have learned a few things about shooting, processing and photo editing. I've also gotten more tolerant of expired film. Right now I've got a roll of Verichrome Pan started in my Kodak Duo Six-20.

Mike said...

The close-up of the shakers was at a wide aperture and the result pretty much dispelled any concern I had about focal issues. I thought the performance of the lens on the Kiev IIa was as good as anything I got from the Nikon S.
There is an issue of compatibility with lenses other than. the 1.4/50. For instance, putting the Jupiter 12 on the Nikon S will put a scratch on the faceplate of the Nikon S. I think that in that case the real problem is with the configuration of the lens rather than. a focal length disparity.
I was pretty confident going into the test of the Nikon lens on the Kiev because the lens fit the camera very smoothly, and I also knew that the Soviets went to great lengths to make as good a copy as possible of the Contax.
I'll be putting more film through this combination, so we will have more opportunities. to see the results. (This was a reply to a comment by Kodachromeguy which I accidentally deleted!)