Tuesday, August 27, 2024

The Albuquerque Rail Yards

  I visited the Rail Yards which hosts a craft and farmers' market on Sundays.  Margaret was looking for some fresh corn and garlic, but my interest is always in exploring the massive old locomotive repair shops.  The City has invested millions in the location with several proposals to make use of the site.  Extensive restorations are now in progress to devote one of the big buildings to a new media school.  There has also been a building housing the Wheels Museum at the site for some time.




The site was active for about a century, used primarily for the repair and periodic rebuilding of steam locomotives.  

My camera on this occasion was my Minolta X-700 with the Minolta MD 1.7/50mm lens. I shot a roll of Kentmere 400 and processed that in PMK Pyro.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy your photographs from the Rail Yards. I could imagine myself wandering about inside for hours with my camera.

JR Smith said...

I did not realize until after I posted the comment above that the format here had changed.

Mike said...

I was not aware that any format changes had occurred. Thanks for the heads-up. Only a couple of the big buildings are completely accessible. For the others, like the one in these pictures, the photos have to be snapped through the broken windows.

Andy T said...

Hello Mike!

What great images! I could wander around such buildings for hours with my camera if given half a chance! You seem to have gotten very low grain, and contrast "spot on" - Kentmere 400 never looked better! Cheers and best wishes Andy

Mike said...

Hi, and thanks. This was a better outcome for Kentmere that I have had for a while. I credit filtration of the fixer for the improvement. Also have to give some credit for the Minolta X-700 which always holds up its end of the process.

kodachromeguy@bellsouth.net said...

Mike, these are fabulous! This is my type of subject matter. You did well with this choice of film and focal length. Maybe I'll fly down to Albuquerque, and you can take me to the rail sheds.

Mike said...

Hey, great idea! Important to pick the right time though. The site is only open on Sundays for the farmers market which has outside booths as well as indoor ones in two of the big buildings. The presence of a lot of people inside the buildings is kind of a distraction if you are mostly interested in the architectural details. For the other buildings you have to shoot through the broken windows or through the barred doorways. There is currently a lot of construction activity on the site; when that is further along, conditions will surely change.