Monday, December 04, 2023

Film for Half-Frame

 I've been going back and forth with 100 and 400 Kentmere for use in my Olympua Pen-FT.  The images from the slower film is slightly smoother, but at the on-line display size the difference in grain seems inconsequential to me.  For processing in PMK Pyro I increase the exposure by a stop for both films, so higher speed gains some advantage in terms of motion control and depth of field, and I think the tonal range is also a bit better.  This last roll was Kentmere 100.








I have a couple rolls of color in the refridgerator, so I'm thinking that should be the next step for the Pen-FT.  I may also shoot one in the Mercury II-CX to see how the performance of that old half-frame compares to the Olympus.

6 comments:

JR Smith said...

Nice images! I think that the 400 speed film gives you flexibility without sacrificing much in terms of image quality. And with so many shots available per roll shooing half frame, having the flexibility of 400 speed film makes sense.

Mike said...

I will likely order a bulk roll of Kentmere 400 so I can load short rolls. I'm often impatient to see what a session has produced and shooting and scanning fifty images is a lot to deal with.

Juna said...

I only do slower film on half frames - actually calling them my "summer cameras" as there's more light. I have an Ilford XP2 in my Pen F right now which might be a solution for B&W and 400 and less grain - although of course it's not real B&W. Can't say how it works yet, because, well...another 30 frames or so to go.

Mike said...

C-41 b&w is nice stuff. I wish it was more affordable. I am going to do some C-41 color shortly in the Pen-FT.

kodachromeguy@bellsouth.net said...

I liked the Kodak BW400CN film when it was fresh. But my last few rolls looked grainy. I think it does not age well. I wish Kodak would reintroduce it.
Kodachromeguy

Mike said...

I shot a lot of the Kodak C-41 b&w and liked it a lot as it was fast, but virtually grainless. I guess Ilford XP2 is pretty similar. I've only shot expired examples of that which has not been very satisfying. I may try it again when I get another C-41 chem kit.