Thursday, December 14, 2023

Building the Pen-FT System



I've been somewhat intimidated by the prices for lenses to fit my Olympus Pen-FT, so I was surprised recently to find an ebay listing for a 100mm telephoto for just forty bucks, shipping included from Japan.  It was clearly a risk on several levels, but there are no blemishes on the glass or the external surfaces and the focus is smooth.  The small size of the lens is a bit shocking, particularly because the 100mm actually corresponds to 140mm on a full-frame 35mm camera

* * *

I loaded a roll of Kodak Gold 200 in the Pen-FT and started off with some shots of familiar subjects around the house and in Old Town for the sake of comparison.



The next day I mounted the new telephoto and finished off the roll at the Zoo.





No complaints about the image quality from the 100mm; it seems to me that the contrast and resolution are up to what I expect from Olympus.  However, the 3.5 maximum aperture did challenge my focusing ability with the cloudy day lighting.

3 comments:

JR Smith said...

You read all sorts of horror stories about buying from sellers in Japan, but I have had great experiences. I've bought several cameras and a few lenses and each has been better than advertised with reasonable shipping and prompt delivery. I think if a pile of money ever fell from the sky into my lap, I would make a trip to Tokyo and visit some of those amazing used camera shops. Nice lens and great photos Mike!

Mike said...

I don't offhand recall getting anything else from Japan, but I'll certainly remain open to the possibility in my search for a wide-angle for the Pen-FT.

Kodachromeguy said...

I have bought two Canon rangefinder lenses from Japan, and both were exactly as advertised. But beware that a lot of the mid-century optical stuff from Japan has fungus.