Wednesday, October 26, 2022

5222

 I retrieved some Kodak Double-X(5222) of unknown age from my refrigerator drawer and shot it in my Olympus XA. I started the roll on a walk by the river and finished it up at the Albuquerque Art Museum where there was a landscape exhibit including some big camera obscura works by Shi Guorui.




I shot the roll at ASA100 and processed the film in hc110b for 6 minutes.  The negative density and the grain looked good, but the gray tones were kind of muddy.  I probably would have been better off shooting at box speed and allowing less time in the developer.  The real expert in 5222 is jon caradies who shoots that film almost exclusively and processes it in D-23.




My little Olympus XA has an excellent lens and it works fine in bright outside light, but the dim rangefinder makes low light shooting a frustrating experience.  

2 comments:

JR Smith said...

I shoot Eastman 5222 at the box speed and it has always delivered a solid range of tones consistently. If you can add a yellow filter when shooting this film, it produces amazing results.

Mike said...

Thanks for the feedback. I think you are quite right that it is a capable film and I'd be willing to try it again.