Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Black

When I feel the need for some inspiration to get my photography moving I often look to a small 1967 Aperture Monograph entitled "Paul Caponigro".  Caponigro focused on a great variety of subjects, but the book I own is mostly closeups of natural forms.  I wrote here before about his picture from that book of an apple which seems to transform into a abstraction encompassing the Universe.

What most stood out to me this time in looking through the monograph's images was Caponigro's use of black as a compositional element.  Sometimes the deep black areas in his prints serve primarily as a background to forms and patterns.  Often, however, the black areas are patterns which become a principal compositional element. In either case the visual impact is achieved primarily through careful exposure control and a balance between the the prominent blacks and the nuanced full-spectrum tonalities of other compositional elements.


Caponigro was also a skilled writer and teacher. While browsing the web material on him today I came across an interesting snippet in the Lumierepress Archive of his work with his assessment of Adams' Zone System for calculating exposure. I am inspired to look at more of his many books to gain more insight about his distinctive style and techniques.

Another photo artist I need to spend more time with who made effective use of dark to black tonalities is Brett Weston.  I have several of his father's books, but none from the famous son, though I did get to see a fine exhibit of his work several years ago at the New Mexico Art Museum in Santa Fe. The White Sands series provides a unique view of that place.

2 comments:

JR Smith said...

Thank you for this post and for mentioning the Paul Caponigro - An Aperture Monograph book. I ordered one today from Amazon. I feel it might inspire me as well.

Mike said...

I really like Caponigro's style. There are no gimmicks to it. He works with common subjects we all have access to, but he produces marvelous images, mostly by taking the time to observe them very closely.