Thursday, February 24, 2022

In the Neighborhood with the Kodak Brownie Reflex

 The compact size and brilliant viewfinder of the Kodak Brownie Reflex make it one of my favorite cameras using 127 film.  I still have most of a refrigerated bulk roll of 127 Portra 160 , so I wound up a couple two-foot lengths of the film on 127 reels along with some old 127 backing paper.  The Portra would have given me over-exposed images in a box camera when new, but the film is well-expired and seems about right for the slow shutter in the little reflex box.






The fixed-focus lens produces sharp results from about five feet to infinity.  However, the camera will accept the same Kodak No.13 accessory close-up lens which is used with the Hawkeye Flash, and that gets you as close as three feet.


4 comments:

Jim Grey said...

Nice. I've owned two of these - one when I was a child - and never managed to put film through them. A shame, because when I owned the first one, you could still buy 127 at the drug store.

Mike said...

The Brownie Reflex is easily a favorite because of its style and picture-making capabilities. However, I also like it because it represents one of my rare successes in significant restoration.

Adam Fairclough said...

I bought one of these at a thrift store a few years ago, but got rid of it just recently because 127 film is so exorbitantly expensive. A pity, because it can evidently produce nice images. It is fun to obtain decent results from such cheap and basic cameras. I recently acquired a Dover 620, one of the weirdest-looking cameras I have ever seen. Its "gimmick" is a yellow filter and a close-up lens that are attached to the camera body and slide over the simple meniscus lens. The second roll of 620 I put through yielded some woderful pictures. To get good results from these such cameras, I have learned, is that you need ample LIGHT.

Mike said...

I wouldn't be shooting my 127 cameras if I had to pay current prices for the new film. Luckily for me I was given a nice supply of bulk 127 some time ago. It is a challenge to get the film rolled up to use, but the price is right and I really like several of my 127 cameras. I have also used some 120 cut down to 127 size, but that is another complication. It is true that the simpler cameras do require paying close attention to lighting to match the camera's capabilities.