Thursday, November 19, 2020

HP5 in XTOL

 I'm mostly happy with my first results from processing Ilford HP5+ in Kodak XTOL 1:1 developer.

One thing I don't like is the way middle gray skies are rendered.  Those areas in the images have a bit more grittiness than I want.

The tonal values of this film and developer combination are nice, and in pictures that do not include large areas of sky I think that the results are quite acceptable.

It is possible that using yellow, red or green filters would help to attenuate the grain issue.  I might also try processing with 1:0 undiluted developer.  So, I still have some things to learn about this film and XTOL.  I am also looking forward to comparing results using XTOL with some other films including TMAX and Kentmere.

4 comments:

Rick said...

Just curious, did you use a red filter for those images with the blue sky? I haven't been happy with HP5+ and red filters, and then I figured out why. It turns out that, according to Ilford's own data sheet, the response level takes a dip when it gets to red sensitivity. I just loaded a fresh roll yesterday (for the first time in many months) and I'm going to shoot it either bare or just with a yellow filter.

Mike said...

I didn't use any filter on that roll. It does seem like yellow filter might just be enough to shift the tonality enough to improve the skies. I'll give that a try on the next roll.

JR Smith said...

I keep coming back to the shot of the shadows on the front of the museum. Nicely done!

Mike said...

There is a nice garden along the south side of the Museum with plantings from all around the state. I often pass that way on morning walks with the dog. Our daughter was the education director for the museum when we first moved to the city.