Thursday, September 17, 2020

Shooting the Nikon F

 I had some good luck in finding my perfectly working Nikon F locally at a negligible cost.  I already had several more advanced examples from the same line which performed very well.  However, the opportunity to use the camera which initiated a new era in photography has been a fine personal experience, even though I will not be able to do justice to the camera's potential at this point in my photographic trajectory.


The Nikkor-SC Auto 1.4/50 that came with my F is a very fine lens and faultless in its performance.  However, the lens that has consistently produced the most satisfying results for me is the Nikkor-P Auto f:2.5/105mm which came along with my F2 that I found in a thrift shop.  I used that lens on an early morning walk through downtown Albuquerque.


I had a few frames left on the roll of Kentmere 400 when I got home, so I used them for some portraits of my cat which was relaxing in a rather dark corner of the house.  The focal length of the lens let me stay far enough from the subject to avoid alarming her, and the weight of the camera and lens helped me to shoot at 1/60 with the lens wide open.  

The bright viewfinder of the Nikon F along with the f2.5 aperture let me achieve perfect focus on the subject's features, and a hundred percent enlargement of the 1600 dpi scan shows perfectly rendered detail. I rated the Kentmere 400 at 200 and processed in PMK Pyro.

2 comments:

Kodachromeguy said...

The photograph of the guy on a bike with the railings along the highway is a very powerful image. Perfect lighting! I had that same 105mm lens in the late 1960s and 1970s. It was fantastic, but a heavy chunk of aluminum and glass.

Mike said...

I had a normal and a wide-angle lens with me on the walk around downtown, but it was the 105 that got the best shots. It came as a bit of a surprise to me that I would like this focal length. I only got the lens because it came along with my F2 at a thrift store half-price sale.